Saturday, March 5, 2022

The Skylarks' War by Hilary McKay

 I loved Ms. McKay's The Swallows' Flight so I was thrilled to learn that she had written a previous book about WWI, The Skylarks' War. This novel focuses on the previous generation, Peter, Clarry, Vanessa, Rupert, Violet-how they met, how their relationships deepened and their involvement in WWI. 

Once again Ms. McKay has created interesting, deep characters and has developed an engaging storyline that wove in the time period. She is a superb story-teller. I loved each of the characters. I also liked how the reader learns what the characters pursue as adults. This book takes us right up to The Swallows' Flight.

Unfortuantely, she includes a boy who loves another boy. It is not the center of the story but the character is a big part of the story. It was so subtle in the beginning. I thought I was being hyper-sensitive. I wasn't.

Warning: Simon, Vanessa's endearing brother, develops a crush on Rupert. His love for Rupert causes him to enlist to fight in WWI. Some negative comments were made by other characters about Simon (which reflects the time period and their views on homosexuality). 

-I own this book but won't be keeping it because of the above.



No comments:

Post a Comment