Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham**

-A Newbery Medal winner

 My friend has been sharing with me for years how much she and her family love this book. Finally, I decided to add it to our school reading list. My eighth grader will be reading this novel as part of his literature course this coming school year.

In an engaging narrative format, Ms. Latham shares with reader's Nathaniel Bowditch's life and progress to become a self-educated man and an eventual publisher of his book, The American Practical Navigator. Mr. Bowditch is an impressive, tenacious man-a worthwhile historical figure to study and for teens/children to admire. Individuals who love mathematics will relate to Mr. Bowditch as he often says, "It's simple mathematics." As I read this book, I thought of my mother-in-law and husband . . .both who are very intelligent and who love mathematics. I am confident that my eighth grader will relate to Mr. Bowditch and will thoroughly enjoy this account. 

**Highly, highly recommend.

I own this book.






No comments:

Post a Comment