Saturday, August 12, 2023

Godmersham Park by Gill Hornby

 World magazine reviewed this book. The summary appealed to me so I borrowed it from the library.

Through careful research, Ms. Hornby was able to create a novel based on facts about Anne Sharp, a governess of Fanny Austen, Jane Austen's niece. Readers will have the pleasure of enjoying a great story along with insight into Jane Austen's extended family. I did not like the hints of attraction between Anne and Henry, Jane's brother who is married. Infidelity did not occur. It is also stated that Anne was in love with two people-Henry and Jane. I think her love for Jane was sisterly, but our current world has me a bit leary. Quite a bit of feminism included-but, during their time, women were treated as "less than".

Superb writing and an intriguing story.

-Borrowed from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment