Sunday, August 27, 2023

Megan Elizabeth Baratta,illustrator, text set*

 In a recent college news publication I read that Megan Elizabeth Baratta had graduated from the same college (now university) as me! To my delight, I realized I had already read and reviewed one of the books she had illustrated (I Begin with Spring-The Life and Seasons of Henry David Thoreau). Below are two more books she has illustrated. I highly recommend both books.

The Secret Stream by Kimberly Ridley 

Readers encounter the start of a stream, its journey, the different creatures it encounters along the way, both in the water and along the banks, until it becomes a river. A great book to read and study when learning about water and habitats. Delightful illustrations. I especially love the end pages (the map of its entire journey).

-Borrowed from the library.



Most Days written by Michael Leannah (*Megan Elizabeth Baratta's debut picture book)
I love this simple picture book that celebrates the ordinary days filled with extraordinary moments, which urges readers to observe and celebrate. I like this sentence, "Another day will come tomorrow, full of extraordinary things filling ordinary minutes". Ms. Baratta incoporates a racially diverse cast of characters, a variety of ages, people who need a wheelchair or who need sign language to communicate, and diverse settings (city and farm). Her illustrations celebrate all people. The dandelion clocks are whimsical and lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment