Monday, January 2, 2017

Quiet Power The Secret Strengths of Introverts by Susan Cain with Gregory Mone and Erica Moroz*

Within my family there are several introverts.  My one son is an introvert (my other son and I are ambiverts).  My prayer has been and continues to be that he realizes that his calm nature and his patient, quiet personality are gifts.  So I was thrilled when I discovered this book!
Ms. Cain wrote Quiet for adults and experienced such positive responses that she wrote this book for teens, to help them understand the gift of being introverted (and being introverted does not necessarily mean being "shy".).
She backs up her points and ideas with lots of research, stories about introverted teens around the world and successful introverts.  She addresses how they can handle school, socializing, hobbies and home in a way that benefits them yet is not rude or self-seeking.  Ms. Cain also dedicates a section to teachers and how they can understand and incorporate introverts' gifts in the classroom.  She also includes a guide for parents and shares how they can support their introvert children.   She also emphasizes how introverts need their space and time to decompress and to be alone.
My boys and I had fun taking an informal quiz she includes in the introduction.
Secret strengths of introverts: deep thinking, intense focus, comfort with solitude and excellent listening skills.
**Highly, highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment