Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Memories of Survival by Esther Nisenthal Krinitz & Bernice Steinhardt**

 I cannot recall how I heard about this book. Because of its uniqueness, I plan to purchase it.

Esther, a Polish Jewish teenager during WW II, relates through needlework art her life before the Nazi invasion, during it, and then after it. I love that she was an ordinary girl who demonstrated courage as she survived those awful years.

Esther's needlework art (embroidery and fabric collage by sewing machine and but mostly done by hand) is unique and beyond belief! She even embroidered captions for each depiction. Her daughters decided to share her story with the world. I am glad they did.

*Highly, highly recommend (for junior high and older).

Considerations: Esther does not shield the reader from the cruelty and the violence that pervaded this time period. One picture displays Nazi's hanging from trees. 

*Borrowed via inter-lib. loan.



No comments:

Post a Comment