Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Delightful Horror of Family Birding by Eli J. Knapp illustrated by John Rhett*

 In my alma mater's "newsletter", I read about this book and knew I HAD to read it. After borrowing it via inter-lib. loan, a few chapters in, I knew I wanted to own it and returned it, unfinished. I finally put aside other books and read it in two days. Dr. Knapp and I attended the same college (I don't think we ever talked??), and Professor Rhett, the illustrator for this book, was my art professor. I loved reading a book that was created by two people I "knew".

Dr. Knapp engages readers with humorous yet philosophical essays about birds and nature. His puns are funny and "groany" at the same time! As I read, I would chuckle over a sentence or his crazy experiences in nature. I am glad to own this book and will be one I would reread. How I wish I could return to "my" college and take Dr. Knapp's ornithology course and go birding with him!

*Highly recommend.

Considerations: Evolution & old-earth views are treated as fact. God is not mentioned much in the essasy although he gives Him ultimate thanks in the acknowledgements.



No comments:

Post a Comment