Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Tress of the Emerald Sea by Brandon Sanderson*

 Mr. Sanderson is an incredible story teller. He creates imaginative worlds, compelling plots, and engaging characters. I did not like the setting in the story; it "creeped" me out and made me feel suffocated and trapped. However, I loved the characters and the plot so much that I endured the world!! On the other hand, I admire his ability to create such a vivid world! My sixteen-year-old read this and handed it over to me, saying, "Mom, you need to read this. You will really like it." He was right! 

This story is more whimsical than his other novels, which appeals to me! The art on the end pages and Tress's portrait are beautiful.

The Sorceress has captured Tress's beloved friend Charlie. Tress sets out to rescue him. Her credentials? A window washer. On her voyage on the spore sea with a band of pirates, she discovers friendship and the power of love and loyalty. Hoid and Ulaam, characters from Sanderson's other worlds, are part of this story. Hoid is the narrator. He is very funny (sometimes crass).

*Highly recommend.

Warning: a couple of swear words, some violence, some crassness (one had to infer but I think, Hoid hinted that the Sorceress's tower looked like a male part! It wasn't very clear . . .but  I think I am correct.)






No comments:

Post a Comment