Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper*

 I read this classic so I could interact with my son as he reads it for English this year. Critics have a lot to say about the lack of character development, the awkward dialogue, racism & sexism, and wordiness. Despite becoming distracted at times by the wordiness and older word choice, I thoroughly enjoyed this classic. When reading the classics, one needs to understand what society was like at that time, their worldview, and to appreciate the classic's contribution to literature. In other words, consider its context and seek its value. It was considered the first "Great American Novel", and Cooper was called the first American author.

Readers should be aware that Cooper sometimes calls a character by their first name and then in the next sentence by their title/their role or their last name. I found this confusing sometimes!

After reading this book, I am now reading a collection of essays about birding. My brain needs a break! This read was arduous but worth it!

Considerations: violence, very graphic killing of an infant in chapter 17, death of characters

*Highly recommend.

-I own 2 copies of this book (one for me, one for my son). I would love to find a copy with N.C. Wyeth's paintings in it.

We will be watching the movie when my son finished the novel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment