Friday, April 5, 2019

A Siege of Bitterns by Steve Burrows

I wanted to love this book.  I love birds.  I love stories which take place in Britain. I love mysteries. 
It, however, moved a bit slow, and I had a difficult time connecting to the character.  Mr. Burrows seem to keep Jejeune, the detective and the main character, distant.  The slowness of plot and the distant character, however, actually represent  Jejeune well.  Jejeuen also does not really enjoy his job.  He would rather watch birds!   He is a methodical detective and not very warm and open, even with his girlfriend.
 Maybe this mystery novel reflects how cases are solved-dead ends, false conclusions, methodical research?!
Jejeune is a new detective in Norfolk, a town in Saltmarsh, a birding hot spot.  When an ecological activist is found dead, Jejeune and his fellow investigators uncover a deeper issue threatening Saltmarsh and its community.
-Borrowed from the library.
I did appreciate that the foul language was minimal (maybe a couple?) and that there were no intimate scenes at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment