Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sled Dog School by Terry Lynn Johnson*

I read this book aloud to my sons.  My nine year old loved it; my twelve year did not (it was too stressful for him-Matt was failing math and not wanting to get help, he thought some his choices were not very smart and was frustrated with him!).
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it aloud!
Matt is failing math.  When his teacher, Mr. Moffat, offers an extra credit assignment where students start their own business, Matt seizes the opportunity.  Mushing dogs comes easily to him so he offers to teach individuals how to run a dog sled.  He needs three clients.  Tubbs and Alex, individuals from different schools, sign up.   As Matt teaches them the basic for dogsledding, he learns a lot about himself, family, life and friendship.
I liked how the author included all the math involving to running a business.  Great book to use with an economic unit.
*Highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library.
Point to discuss: bullies, Matt's parents' unique parenting style!



No comments:

Post a Comment