Monday, May 18, 2020

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot**

I first received and read this book when I was sixteen-years-old.  Ever since then James Herriot's books have been a favorite of mine.
This winter I began reading this book aloud to my ten-year-old.  My thirteen-year-old even joined us some nights! 
With humor and inherent sense of pacing, Herriot captivates the reader immediately. Readers join Herriot in the beautiful Yorkshire dales, experience his interactions with the stoic Dale farmers and their animals and laugh at Siegfried's and Tristan's antics.   Also, I often paused to talk with my son about Herriot's writing techniques. 
**Highly, highly recommend but see the warnings.

Warnings: People in the story often drank alcohol.  There are several incidents of drunkenness.  One chapter I totally skipped because Herriot is extremely drunk and is on a double date (with Tristan).  Swearing is common.  Since I was reading it aloud, I could skip over the words. 
Vivid descriptions of veterinary practices (not for squeamish readers).

-I own this book (and the entire series).

No comments:

Post a Comment