Sunday, May 3, 2020

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

Award-winner-Pulitzer Prize
Ms. Dillard shares her observations in the natural over a year's time near her home in Tinker Creek, Virginia.  As she observes nature, she contemplates life and God.  Her similes and metaphors evoke memorable, powerful images.  Often I found myself thinking, "That is exactly how (fill in the blank) looks!" Her knowledge about the natural world is phenomenal! Numerous times I was astounded about the information she shared about insects, Eskimos, and muskrats (just to name a few).
Although I thoroughly enjoyed her writing, sometimes I felt like I was not quite understanding the depth of what she was trying to convey (not because of her inability to communicate, but my inexperience in reading esoteric writing!).  I was also uncertain about her views concerning God.

I think it is one I will reread when I want to be amazed by the Creator and just to relish in her descriptive writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment