Sunday, October 4, 2020

Narrative Life of Frederick Douglass-An American Slave Written by Himself*

 During my African-American literature course in college, I am sure I read Douglass' narrative.  When I offered it as a free book choice to my eighth grader and he read it, I knew it was time to reread it.

Mr. Douglass candidly reveals his life as a slave with concise and well-constructed writing.  It really opened my eyes to the power slavery had over the people.  Reading how well respected "Christians" were the harshest masters disturbed me.  In the appendix, Mr. Douglass explains how these "Christians" were not follwers of Christ.

Beth Johnson writes an "afterword" where she points how Mr. Douglass' autobiography is relevant to modern times.  Parents should be aware that she includes "sexual orientation" as an area of modern-day prejudice.  

Catergorized as "young adult" in my library.

*Highly recommend.

-Borrowed from the library.



















No comments:

Post a Comment