Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The Lost Boy's Gift by Kimberly Willis Holt illustrated by Jonathan Bean

 Since I grew up in the same area as Mr. Bean, I try to keep up to date with his publications.  The reason why I borrowed this book was because he had illustrated it. 😊

After his parents divorce, Daniel moves to a quaint village with his mom.  He misses his dad.  His mom works into the evening.  To combat his loneliness, he wanders his street discovering interesting individuals and animals.  His neighbor, Tilda Butter, notices (with the help of her animal friends with whom she can communicate) that Daniel is a lost boy and needs some help.  

To be honest, I did not care for Daniel.  I loved Tilda Butter and Dewey Wonder!  The setting and characters reminded me of Kate Dicamillo's Deckawoo Drive.  I wanted to know more about Agatha Brown and what made her finally begin to actually play her saxophone.

Mr. Bean's illustrations are expressive.  The map of Falling Star Valley is intricate.

Points to discuss: divorce, lying

A delightful neighborhood and characters!

-Borrowed from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment