Saturday, September 11, 2021

All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot**

 Over quite a few months I read aloud this delightful narrative to my eleven-year-old before bed.  James Herriot is one of my favorite authors.  Being able to reread his books to my son is a highlight of my day!

Herriot relates his treatments and interactions with the unique people and their creatures in Yorkshire.  Humor abounds.  Descriptions of the landscape entice the reader to venture into rural Yorkshire.  Each chapter is an example of a superb personal narrative.  Herriot's closing sentences are apt and concise.  I always anticipate what his closing line will be!

Because of our love for this series, my son and I were excited to learn about the BBC television series All Creatures Great and Small. We borrowed Season 1 from the library. Our entire family enjoyed the episodes.  We are looking forward to Season 2 in 2022.

**Highly, highly recommend (but see warnings).

Warnings: some swearing, abundant alcohol use (sometimes characters get drunk), tobacco use

- I own this book (and the entire series!).



No comments:

Post a Comment