Thursday, September 23, 2021

Hilaire Belloc

 
For our first montly poetry theme (now called "Poetry Pie" instead of "Poetry Tea"-the boys like pie better than tea!!), I featured "humorous intellectuals".  Poems by Hilaire Belloc and G.K. Chesterton were read and shared.  Below are the books we read (I could only find three! Not many are readily available via the library):

1. Hilaire Belloc-An Anthology of His Prose and Verse selected by W.N. Roughead

*My fourteen-year-old memorized a short poem from this one the same day we read and shared these poems!

-Borrowed from the library.


2. G.K. Chesterton-Collected Nonsense and Light Verse   selected and arranged by Marie Smith

-Borrowed via inter-library loan



3. Cautionary Tales for Children by Hillaire Belloc  Rediscovered and illustrated by Edward Gorey*
*Highly recommend (My eleven, almost twelve-year-old, asked me to buy this one for his birthday.  I bought him a similar album with more verses in it).
-Borrowed from the library.

This what I bought for my son for his birthday-
Warning: Most of Belloc's poems/tales end with the child dying.  The humor is dry and a bit edgy.  





No comments:

Post a Comment