Thursday, September 23, 2021

short stories by various authors

 My ninth grader's first module focused on short stories.  I read the following short stories so I could discuss them with him and assess his writing:

1."A White Heron" by Sarah Orne Jewett-beautiful descriptions of nature; imagery

2. "The Diamond Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant-irony, surprise ending

3. "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry-my favorite!!, humorous, irony, suprise ending

***The above three were my favorite.  The rest were ok . . .

4. "The Worn Path" by Eudora Welty-well-written, incredible character depiction

5. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber-again, well-written & great character depiction-I had borrowed the DVD starring Ben Stiller but had no desire to watch it.  This story made me sad.

6. "The Purloined Letter" by Edgar Allen Poe-my least favorite!  The solution was clever but my brain hurt by the end of reading it. . . .I could not wait for it to be finished!!









No comments:

Post a Comment