Monday, February 7, 2022

A Bird Will Soar by Alison Green Myers

 2022-Youth Media Winner-for Schneider Family Book Award for books that embody an artistic expression of the disability experience.

Out of all the novels/chapter books for this year's ALA winners, this one looked the most interesting. 

Alex, an autistic boy, loves birds. In his own backyard he observes eagles raising their eaglets. A tornado whips through their neighborhood and destroys the tree, holding the nest. A different tree crashes into their home. As a result, Alex's estranged father returns to help repair their home. Suddenly Alex realizes that his mother and the adults in his life have kept secrets from him. Will order ever be restored?

Each chapter begins with a new poem. I looked forward to reading them! Ms. Myers not only weaves together a family story but also creates poems that support the story's development. 

Originally I decided to read this book so I could pass it along to my twelve year old who loves birds. I won't be recommending it to him.

Warnings/points to discuss: Alex's home is on the property of two men, Emmett and George. They are lovers. Their physical affection for each other is displayed by one laying a hand on top of the other and a kiss on the cheek. When I read the summary about the book, I thought it was about an autistic boy, his love for birds and his struggle with his parents' separation. I was not aware of this element. If I had known about this inclusion, I would not have borrowed it. Once I started, I enjoyed Alex and his story, so I finished the book.  Alex's parents have been separated because of the father's alcoholism. Also, if readers are not familiar with autism, it would be good to discuss the spectrum and its implications.

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment