Friday, February 4, 2022

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

This month my ninth grader is reading this novel for English. Since I had never read it, I read it so I could discuss it with him.

When a sea captain dies in his mother's inn, Admiral Benbow, Jim Hawkins discovers a treasure map in the man's chest. Sharing the map with the local doctor and squire, Jim finds himself swept off on a sea adventure and treasure hunt.

A coming -of-age novel (bildungsroman) and a quest tale.

I found the ship and seafaring vocabulary and terminology from Stevenson's time period challenging. 

I bought the version that includes N.C. Wyeth's illustrations from Barnes and Noble (a beautiful edition).

Points to discuss: drunkness, violence/murder, different character's views of God




No comments:

Post a Comment