Friday, April 8, 2022

Bare Tree and Little Wind by Mitali Perkins illustrated by Khoa Le

 Little Wind relates his interactions with the palm trees around Jerusalem. As he whirls about, Tall Tree shares with him about the Real King. Little Wind is surprised how humble and quiet this Real King is. Then this Quiet Man dies on the cross and rises again. When the Romans burn Jerusalem, Little Wind mourns the loss of the city. Will hope prevail? 

Christ and his redemption are backgrounds yet the foundation to this story. Intially I thought it was too fantastical and not centered on Christ enough. When I reread it, however, I realized it beautifully displays Christ's redemption and hope. 

Book sellers recommend for ages 3-7. However, I think older kids are the ones who will appreciate and understand the deeper themes.

I love the end pages.  Vivid, apt word choice

The mixture of fanastical and realistic illustrations did not sit well with me. How do the children discern fact from fantasy? On the other hand, when I take into consideration that the narrator is the wind, the elements of fantasy do fit. Read and discern for yourself! 

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment