Saturday, April 30, 2022

The Gardener's Apprentice adapted by Eric Metaxas illustrated by Rodica Prato

 My ninth grader is currently reading I Must Betray You for English. To enrich his knowledge of the Romanian culture, I assigned the reading of this Romanian folktale. He told me that it was one of the more unusual stories he has read. I decided to read it!

For many years a couple is unable to bear a child.  A sorcerer breaks the curse by giving the wife an apple. His only warning, "No other living creature may not eat it".  Without their knowledge, the couples' horse eats the apple peels. The woman AND the horse become pregnant at the same time . . .both giving birth to healthy offspring! Eventually the boy rides away on the horse's foal and leaves home to never return. Together, he and his magical horse have many adventures.

I agree with my son; the story was unique and also entrancing.

Lavish paintings.

-Borrowed from the library.

This book included a flower journal where the reader may record the flowers he plants. It also lists and descibes the flowers in the apprentice's garden. 



No comments:

Post a Comment