Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom with Elizabeth & John Sherrill**

 I read this autobiography aloud to my fourteen-year-old and twelve-year-old over their lunch break three days a week. All three of us were captivated by Corrie's story. The writing style is engaging and well-executed. 

Almost a quarter of the autobiography describes her life with her father, her sister and her aunts in their watch shop, which surprised me. As we read, I understood why Corrie and the Sherrills devoted a chunk of the novel to this time period .  . . it was when the foundation was being laid and preparing them for their role in the underground and when the faith that was nurtured that sustained them in the Ravensbruck. 

An amazing story. As a parent, it encouraged me to continue to be faithful in reading the Word and praying with my boys on a regular basis. These foundational years are vital to sustaining them in their adult lives. 

**Highly, highly recommend for late elementary and older.

-I own this book.

Warning/points to discuss: Corrie asks her dad about sex, cruelty and degradation of humans, a few times Corrie & Betsie must be stripped down and stand before guards naked,  killing/death, WW II/Nazi/Hitler



No comments:

Post a Comment