Sunday, August 28, 2022

Christmas Bells by Jennifer Chiaverini*

 I loved this book! Superbly written and well-developed and well-researched. While trying to find books to enhance our poetry theme for December (Longfellow's poem, "Christmas Bells"), I discovered this novel. After reading it, I feel like I know Longfellow and feel like I have a deeper appreciation for the Christmas song, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".

Ms. Chiaverini alternates chapters relaying the story plots from two different time periods. Readers join Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in the 1860's and experinece his sorrow over his wife's horrific death, his time of grieving and his anxiety about his son joining the military during the Civil War. His story is told over four years. Chapters in between Longfellow's story focus on one Christmas season in the present with individuals involved with a children's choir and their separate stories. The church and the children's chorus are the characters' commonality.

I was amazed how Ms. Chiaverini weaves together all the stories into a cohesive novel. Another bonus is the entire story is wholesome! I would gladly share this novel with a junior higher or high schooler!

*Highly recommend.

-Borrowed from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment