Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Watership Down by Richard Adams CD**

 Published by Blackstone Audio, Inc

Read by Ralph Cosham

When I was in high school, my friend/neighbor, who attended a private school, had to read specific novels over the summer. Usually she was less than thrill about the assignments. One summer, however, she  told me that I should read one of her novel assignments. . . she actually enjoyed reading it! The novel- Watership Down. In those days my reading choices were more fluff. How surprised I was to discover how much I loved this novel as a teen! It was my delight to share this story with my sons and to re-enter the world of Hazel, Fiver and Bigwig.

Fiver dreams and sees the future. When he insists that he, Hazel and the other rabbits from their warren leave because of impending danger, Hazel knows that the rabbits should flee. Only a few join them. The tiny band traverses the countryside to discover a place to dig and start a new warren. Along the way they encounter a strange warren, develop friendships, and fight battles. Another problem arises when they settle at Watership Down---the male group needs does to ensure the prosperity of their warren!  

The word choice, the sentence structure, the plot and character development are superb. Both of my sons enjoyed it. My youngest thought it was the best audio book we have listened to and really liked the legends that the rabbits told each other! My oldest son appreciated the made-up Lapine language Mr. Adams created and also how the rabbits were realistic even the story was fanastical.

Warnings/points to discuss: d**n a few times, violence, fixation on mating (not graphic!)

**Highly, highly recommend.

I own the physical book. We borrowed the audio book.



No comments:

Post a Comment