Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Cliff Notes on Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo*

 My fifteen-year-old is reading The Count of Monte Cristo for English right now. Instead of reading the over one-thousand page novel, I read the Cliff Notes so I could engage in meaningful conversation about the book. The downside to reading Cliff Notes is not experiencing the author's craft, which is an aspect of reading I enjoy immensely. 

These Cliff Notes summarize the characters and their relationship to Edmond Dantes, summarize chunks of chapters at a time and offer comments. Essay question ideas are also included. 

Helpful hint-Characters abound and their connections to each other and Dantes can be confusing. I would recommend a character list or creating a chart how they are connected for quick reference while reading.

Warnings/points to discuss: theme of revenge, manipulation, extramarital affairs, murder, deception

I own these Cliff Notes.

*Highly recommend using this resource when child reading a long novel.



No comments:

Post a Comment