Saturday, December 10, 2022

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson*

 Months ago my fifteen-year-old son placed this book on my nightstand with a note attached to it saying, "Your next read".  Although this genre is not one I would select to read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read it over several months because my library due dates dictate my reading life. 

Elantris and its inhabitants were once beautiful and envied. The Shaod would transform random people into shining, beautiful beings. Then they would leave their homes to live in magnificent Elantris. Now when the Shaod overcame someone, it was a curse. Hair turned to grey; black splotches covered the skin. When hurt, the people felt the extreme pain and never healed but also did not die. 

Raoden, the prince and future king of Arelon, awakes to find the Shaod splotches covering his body. He is thrown into Elantris, where it seems like hell. Meanwhile, his future wife, Sarene from neighboring Teod, is anticipating her marriage to Raoden. Through messages and letters, she has discovered that although the marriage was a political one, she actual likes Raoden and is eager to become his wife. She arrives in Arelon and discovers she is a widow. Raoden, reportedly, is dead. 

Is there any hope of escaping Elantris or even better, restoring the city and its people to their former glory?

A priest is determined to convert the city of Arelon to Jaddeth, his god. He has a deadline from Wyrn.

Intrigue, suspense, and likeable characters

*Highly recommend: for high school and older (see warning).  This author is probably one of my son's favorites.

Warning: descriptive violence, demons fight the people at the end, various religions

-My son owns this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment