Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Sunday Philosophy Club-An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery by Alexander McCall Smith

 I have read some of Mr. McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. When I saw this series at the library and that it took place in Edinburgh, Scotland, I eagerly checked it out. Although I enjoyed reading it, I was surprised the direction it traveled. The word "philosophy" in the title should have dispelled me of my notions. It focused more on Isabel, an editor for a philosophy magazine, and her philosophical musings about her life and choices mankind makes than the actual mystery. The plot gathers its energy from the mystery but more time is focused on Isabel's thoughts and her relationship with her niece Cat and Cat's ex-boyfriend Jamie.

After a concert, Isabel watches a young man fall from the gods to his death. His face passes her face as he falls. Feeling it is her moral obligation to figure out why he fell, she uncovers inside trader dealings. The ending is a surprise and makes one think (naturally, since our main character is a philosopher!). Not your typical mystery!!

-Borrowed from the library.

Consider: Nothing explicit but -Isabel mentions same-sex attraction, she catches one young character emerging from the bedroom of his female housemate, naked, mentions men having relationships with young men, infidelity



No comments:

Post a Comment