Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Albrecht Durer text set

 When preparing for our unit of the Reformation, I discovered that Albrecht Durer was known as "the artist of the Reformation" . He is also considered the greatest German Renaissance artist. My favorite paintings by him are "Peonies", "Columbine" , and "The Large Piece of Turf". I am using the following resources to teach my sons about him:

1. Albrecth Durer-Art for Children by Ernest Raboff. *Highly recommend. Easy, engaging paragraphs-format like an artist sketch book. In this book I saw for the first time "Peonies", Columbine", and "The Large Piece of Turf". -Borrowed from the library.


2. Before They Were Famous by Bob Raczka-(How Seven Artists Got Their Start)-One page short biography about their early days following with a few of their famous paintings. *Highly recommend. Borrowed from the library.

3. Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios by Emily Kiser -I absolutely love these packets. They contain copies of artists' paintings, suggested ways to talk about art  & artists. For each painting there are additional insights about it plus probing questions. I owe quite a few of these portfolios! My youngest son and I were disappointed they did not include our favorite paintings by Durer (I knew before I ordered it what paintings were included. I just wished they had included more of his nature subjects).






No comments:

Post a Comment