Sunday, March 19, 2023

Village School by Miss Read illustrated by J.S. Goodall

 Originally published in 1955, Village School introduces readers to the village of  Fairacre from the perspective of  Miss Read, the village's school teacher. I enjoyed reading the gentle, humorous stories, feeling like I was living in the village. Even though it is told from Miss Read's point of view, I feel like I did not "get to know" her very well. More time is devoted to describing and interacting with other characters. Being a former school teacher, I enjoyed reading about how the public school was in England in the 1950s. 

Aspect I did not agree w/- While her husband was at war, Mrs. Waites has an affair (no details-just mentions it) and gives birth to Cathy. Her husband does not say anything and treats Cathy as her own. From time to time Mrs. Waites thinks about this man and sees nothing wrong with the affair. 

A great setting to escape to! I will definitely be reading more titles in this series. Miss Read has written over fifty-three books. 

*Highly recommend.




No comments:

Post a Comment