Friday, March 3, 2023

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett on CD*

 Read by Josephine Bailey (She is an amazing reader. For each character, she created a distinct voice. Even if the character was singing, it sounded like the voice she created. We loved her British accent also!)

Years ago I read this delightful book to myself and was happy to revisit this world. This winter my youngest son and I were on the road many hours a week for doctor appointments. He suggested we listen to audio books to make it a time to anticipate. The Secret Garden was an uplifting to story to listen to in the dead of winter!

Mary, a selfish and hateful child, finds herself being shipped from India to her uncle's home at Misselthwaite Manor in Yorkshire, England after her parents die of cholera. In her loneliness, she uncovers two secrets and is forever changed. 

Suspenseful plot, delightful characters    A hope filled book.

Warning/point to discuss: My son and I did not like the "magic" aspect to the book. Colin attributes his well-being and recovery to magic. Even the transformation in creation is credited to magic. 

*Highly recommend.

-I borrowed this audio version, but I own the physical book.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment