Monday, January 23, 2023

Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan

 Ms. Callahan deeply researched Joy Davidman's life and seamlessly integrated facts into a superb piece of historical fiction. This book draws readers into Ms. Davidman's life before she forms a friendship with Lewis and then the years during their friendship and their eventual marriage. I was very impressed with Ms. Callahan's writing, her ability to create an compelling plot, and her ability to bring Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis to life.

I was not comfortable reading parts of it because Joy was falling in love with C.S. Lewis while she was still married. Developing a friendship with the opposite gender usually results in romantic feelings, which can lead to affairs. If this book had not been about real people, I would not have finished it because I do not like reading romance novels. Another struggle I encountered was discerning what was made up and what actually happened. Usually historical fiction books I read are about a time in history, not real people as the main character. Throughout the book, I found myself wondering did this character really do this/say this. 

After reading this book, I admire C.S. Lewis all the more. Also, a lot of sources are not very kind towards Joy Davidman. She was human; she had faults. Like all of us, she was in the process of sanctification. Without her influence and friendship, Lewis would not have written Till We Have Faces, Surprised by Joy, Reflections on the Psalms, and A Grief Observed.

-Borrowed from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment