Saturday, August 17, 2024

A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins

 When I was a teen or young adult I read this memoir and loved it. I started reading it aloud to my sons at the end of last school year and finished it at the beginning of this school year. They enjoyed hearing about his interactions with people from all over the states and were impressed with his feat. It was not their favorite read aloud, but they still looked forward to hearing it each day.

Peter Jenkins, disillusioned with the United States, decides to walk across the it, meeting the people and deciding if the country is truly awful. In 1973 from Alfred, New York,  he begins his walk with his beloved dog Cooper. The book ends with him leaving Lousiana in 1975 with another beloved!

I found his similes and metaphors a bit hyperbolic and sappy at times. 

Truly an amazing account! (Read aloud to teens or older-romantic attractions/divorce, drinking, drugs)

-I own this book. (He recorded the rest of his walk in two other books-The Walk West  & Along the Edge of America.)



No comments:

Post a Comment