Sunday, December 2, 2018

Tony's Bread by Tomie dePaola*

An Italian Folktale
When I taught third grade, I loved the stories our anthology contained.  Tony's Bread was one of the stories that I looked forward to sharing with the students each year.  Now I shared it with my sons and plan to continue to do so each Christmas.
Tony is simple bread baker who makes wonderful bread.  He also has a beautiful daughter Serafina.  No man is ever worthy of her, in his opinion!  One day wealthy Angelo travels through the village and spies Serafina.  The two gaze at one each other, Angelo from the street, Serafina from her bedroom window.  It is love at first sight.   The three sisters/ladies (nuns) offer Angelo some advice so he can convince Tony to permit him to marry his precious Serafina.
A delicious bread is the result!
*Highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library.
Tidbit: Read this book around Christmas time and purchase a loaf of panettone bread (this time of year some stores sell this bread) to eat while reading it.  My sons loved!  It truly is a soft, fluffy, moist bread and it looks like it was baked in a flower pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment